Monday, July 8, 2013

All Things Digital

BEFORE YOU READ ANY OF MY POST, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS LINK BELOW. IT IS AWESOME.



In order to set the tone for today’s post, I tried to think about what video I can put up here that expresses my mood right now. I was having a hard time, but I came across this cool video:


And I had to include it, so enjoy! Even though Steve’s revision section today and Mary Ellen’s demo on re-purposing were fantastic, I couldn’t help but think about all things digital for most of the day. I don’t know if it’s because one of my primary research interests is emergent digital genres or because it’s just really interesting, but I have a fascination with all things digital. I think that we are on the brink of something so new, exciting, and even revolutionary in writing with the changes inherent with the digital medium. What most interests me is how these new genres have such different conventions from their paper counterparts. 

For example, the digital essay is not just a standard essay created in a digital space. A digital essay should make use of all the affordances that a digital space creates such as the ability to link, to use images, to use video and audio AND it needs to use the “web-like” affordances of the internet by showing connections rather than remaining on a linear plane as a traditional essay would. That means that the digital essay wouldn’t have a traditional introduction at the top, conclusion at the bottom, and body content in between, but rather the digital essay should be able to rely mostly on content that could be accessed through tiled tabs or in a larger space. If you want to check out a digital essay that I wrote on Bob Dylan, you can access it here: http://kandre17.wix.com/dylanandrhetoric. I’m not saying it’s the right way to write a digital essay or even a good way, but it’s a way that I tried it.

As far as my digital project, I thought it was so hard! I used Prezi for the first official time (I’ve tried at least ten times before and given up) and trying to figure out how to work it felt like I was doing this: 


But after a lot of hard work and a lot of swearing, I finished it up in the wee hours of Monday morning. I haven’t quite figured out how to create a link for it so that will be forthcoming; however, here is a screenshot for now:


Even though it was a lot of work and a lot of confusion, I’m really glad we did it because it pushed me to learn a new genre as well as my trajectory as a teacher. I also think that the gallery crawl with the sticky notes was a great way to give feedback to everyone and I can't wait to use that in my class. It was such a great feeling to come back to your computer and see it filled with great comments:



Side note: During all my random surfing for my initial video, I came across this 1984 Apple commercial that introduces the Macintosh computer. It is amazing! I would love to spend hours and hours dissecting it (especially the big brother part and how that is so appropriate for today too), but I wanted to know what you guys thought!




5 comments:

  1. Very fun that you pulled so much digital stuff into your blog post for today! I'll be honest, I didn't watch the commercial; but I will some day and give you my feedback! :) It's fun to try something new. You seem pretty technically savy as it is, so for you to branch out and try Prezi is exciting. I only had a chance to fiddle around with it a little; but after seeing your presentation, I know I want to revisit it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your digital essay on Prezi. You did such a wonderful job presenting your information. I agree with you that digital is the way of the future. I am flipping my classes in high school quite a bit and the only problem is that in the high school setting all kids don't have computers at home so it makes staying late after school a necessity. I hope that the digital media can find all students soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loveee your videos :) (Especially the commercial at the end! Haha)

    I like your ideas of digital essays. I think that digital essays can be way more beneficial for understanding a concept than regular written essays! I mean we could link to more information (that we wouldn't even have to write!) that is not necessarily needed for our essay. We could post videos to enhance ideas. Oh my goodness my mind is going crazy thinking of the benefits of it already. :) Plus our hands don't get tired...right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendrew,
    I agree 100% and thought it was stated quite eloquently that a digital space should make use of all its nuance and connectivity, rather than exist as a single plane. "How are they supposed to read if they can't even get into the building?!" Well done,
    Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I was about to go to bed, just flipping through some blogs...light reading before bed...and of course, I had to watch the Somebody that I used to know video. It was probably the coolest thing that I have ever seen, and well, I also had to comment in response to to thinking that you are doing about the digital composing and writing. I'm also way interested in this. You are right on, that tools available with digital writing open up new possibilities for meaning making, and so we've got to wonder, what does this mean for writing and writing instruction? And I'm also right with you in your thinking about how genre's of composing that are unique to the digital have their own sets of conventions. Actually, today Lacy's demo got me thinking about doing a similar activity as we did with the books with some digital texts, inquiring into their conventions....like, for example, looking at a bunch of videos and noticing how each used transitions, text placement, or something like that. It was awesome reading your thinking here. We'll have to find time to talk more during SI. And oh, here's another video that could be an interesting space to inquire into the conventions of. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5_OSsawz4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEsPhTbJhuo

    ReplyDelete