Thursday, July 18, 2013

Piecing It All Together

I have been going back and forth on what to write for my final reflection. There is so much that I have gained from this experience: new ways of thinking, new methods for the classroom, new friendships that I cherish, and a new outlook on myself as a writer. I decided that the best way for me to celebrate my new identity as a writer and to describe my experience in SI was to write through it in a poem since poetry is the scariest kind of writing for me. So, without further ado: here is my reflection on SI, here is my attempt at poetry, and here is my new identity as a writer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The Story of a Quilt


We came as separate pieces of fabric.
Unique in color and unique in shape.
Squares of silk, slips of yellow, yards of blue cotton.


Slowly we pieced ourselves together
and beautiful patterns began to emerge.
Rings of green, stars of white, kaleidoscopes of color.


The threads of our discussion became the knots
That tied our stories together to become one.  
And with every stitch, that story became stronger.


A story that tells of a community willing to grow
A story that shows how love and learning can be one.
A story that was written with a fellowship of voices.


The story of our time together.






5 comments:

  1. well done Kendra. I really enjoyed the mixture of dialogue and sewing terms. Never thought of the two as metaphors or the other. I had a much better time than I expected with our group. This was a worthwhile experience. and your writing is too. stop being shy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra I love it! I think I shed a little tear...there may be more coming soon, just a warning. I loved our group and definitely think the scheduled Skype dates are a must! Ahhh, OK enough sad talk for now, I'm getting emotional :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your poem! I loved it at the restaurant and even more reading it a second time at home. I thoroughly enjoyed working with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just keeping looking at this collage! Totally inspiring (and I downloaded collage ap to phone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kendra- CREATIVE and TOUCHING way to end our time together. Thank you for quilting us together.

    ReplyDelete